Saturday, July 15, 2006

Feeling good

Yes, the port insertion went very well. I was quite nervous, but it was easy. I was nervous about what sedation medication they would use because they wanted to use Fentanyl, which I've had a reaction to. They tried to convince me the amt they'd use wouldn't be a problem, but I refused and made them use something else, and all went fine. I was just drowsy as they numbed the area of my arm where it would go. It's pretty cool, it's a small device, about 3/4" in diamieter, that lies flat under the skin, completely covered. There is a tube that is threaded into a vein and is left there for use in administering meds, getting chemo, getting blood draws, or anytime they'd need to insert an IV. It will prevent me from being jabbed a zillion times, as my veins are quite shot. I did ok for the first chemo course I had, but it's gotten more and more difficult as time passes, and I can't take the torture of IV insertion and drawing blood anymore. The veins actually shrink, get hard, roll around, due to the abuse they've taken. Then when I go for my chemo, or whatever, you put numbing cream on, and they insert a needle into the port and infuse away. It is invisible under my skin, yet has easy access. It will be great.

So, I had my treatment, plus added Neulasta, which will keep my white counts up hopefully (it will) and I will probably not feel as tired, and won't be at risk of infection as has been happening over the last few months.

I'm just going to rest today, and I'm thinking of attending a family gathering this evening. We'll see.

4 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

My sister had a port installed. It was great for her. The only time she ever had a problem was when they wouldn't use it because the hospital we were at said they weren't equiped for it. That ticked off the whole family.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kid Sis said...

Oh totally, Lynda.

Lynne, glad to hear it's going well.

Lynne, have you ever heard about the movie The Secret? It's very inspiring. You can actually watch it online, I think for about $5.
http://www.thesecret.tv/

Might be a good visualization tool while you're healing.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kid Sis said...

Geez, it's kind of a confusing site. Here's the direct link:

Secret movie download

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kid Sis said...

I'm going to bring your book to comic-con to show Bri.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home