Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I feel like me again.

It feels as if I've weathered this latest crisis. My blood glucose numbers are returning to normal, my strength has mostly returned. Only my ankles are swollen, but I guess that will improve as well. They were swollen before the latest crisis, so maybe they will never be quite normal. I'm anxious for that to resolve so I will feel like a safe driver. I haven't driven my car in 3 weeks, and I want to make sure that I have strong movement back and forth between pedals before I take that on.

I probably will use crutches always, and I've accepted that likelihood. I nap every day, but so do my favorite creatures: my pets. Can't be all bad. Might be why they are so relaxed and happy all the time.

I'm not looking forward to another chemo treatment Friday, but I can do it. It's part of my job. I am ready to get back to living. A trip to TC must happen soon! When is that Cherry Festival, anyway? I'd enjoy a parade, and a Friday Night Live, but if I go, it will have to be on my Amigo, and I admit, I am embarassed to have my friends see me on it. I have to get over that. I see strong people accomplishing many things in wheelchairs, and I never ever think they should be ashamed. I admire those that really live their lives fully. I can navigate a little on crutches. I can go to restaurants if I am able to park closely, but anything beyond a small walk I need the Amigo.

That's what's happening for me at the moment.

4 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

well, not quite like the real me

but like the me of 3 weeks ago

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

When my husband couldn't wear his artifical foot, he didn't want to go anywhere. I tried to convince him that he could use the carts and the store, and he was to embarassed to. I finally asked him if he planned to stay hidden away while he healed.

So, now I will say to you, don't be ashamed or embarassed. A true friend wants your company, and it doesn't matter if you can't walk long distances. Plus, seeing your friends will probably help you also. Lung cancer is trying to take your independence, and going out in the Amigo is just another way to fight back.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Marsha said...

Glad to hear things are going better!

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous karen said...

oh lunne, i am glad to hear that things are at least improving...i hope the numbers stay normal and that the swelling continues to decrease. i am thinking about you on your chemo day and hoping you weather it well. i really miss you and hope we can see you soon. i also owe you an e-mail and will send it soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home