Sunday, May 21, 2006

Detroit FreePress

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060520/NEWS02/605200316/1001/NEWS

WELL

Fentynl is the patch that I had several months ago
that made me so horribly sick and vomit. I got it from
my oncologist, and it is a 3 day patch that is worn for
severe pain. I put it on while riding home from UM
as I was then having a great deal of difficulty with leg and
hip pain.

By that night I was so sick I called the oncologist on
call and asked if I should take it off, and she
recommended not to because my body was adjusting to
it, she said, and often people feel nauseated from it.
I felt better if I lay down, and I recall and feeling as if my
respiration was slowing and I was breathing very
shallowly, but I went bed to sleep and wait it out.
I seriously recall wondering if I'd stop
breathing, as I'd never experienced that before but I
STUPIDLY left it on.

(a good example of when we need to be our own advocate,
and go with our instinct about things, ignore the medical
community, and take matters into our own hands. It is just
such a difficult thing to do because we are taught to
trust they know what to do, and we are not trained in
their profession. As much as I've learned, I obviously
still need to question and question even when they are
annoyed by it)

It was in the morning that Jill came over and I was
vomiting and I ripped that thing off, and of course
things got better.

Good think I didn't mix it with my heroin. (in case
my blog is being monitored, that is just a joke) I
make sure I let all medical people know I'm allergic
to that drug. So none-a-u-all try to slip me any of
that.

3 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Craig G. said...

I overdosed on those Fentanyl patches a couple times. Most every time I tried one of those patches I became ill within a few hours of application, overwhelmingly nauseous. Only once did it kind of work successfully, greatly easing my pain, and perhaps making me a bit too euphoric and manic. Though in that instance it kept me up for nearly three days until I removed the patch and my motor functions were all wierded out like I was drunk or something most of that time.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

And I was on the lowest dosage available, too! I'm just not cut out to be a junkie, I guess.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

And by the way, C.O., thanks for the posting. I know I am a bit opinionated over there on your blog, but I love reading yours and find your insight from the other side is good for me to read about, and to learn from your perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home