Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Never A Dull Moment

I spent yesterday in the Lansing Sparrow Hospital ER. Had severe abdominal/chest/rib pain early in the day. I was waiting for Josh to arrive for his usual day of help, and the pain was getting worse and I got really scared. I tried reaching Jill and Jonathan, (who were at school and work) and just decided waiting for someone to get here could be dangerous, so I just called 911 for myself. You know I had to feel it was serious for me to do that.

My blood pressure was high from the pain, and they transported me by ambulance to the ER. They were (and I was) concerned about heart problems, or a possible blood clot to the lung. As you may know cancer patients are much more likely to develop blood clots than the average person, so this was a serious, legitimate concern on my part (and on theirs)
I had xrays, ultrasounds, ekg, and bloodwork. They ruled out the most serious things (no clot, no heart problems), so they also checked my gallbladder and liver. No stones, but it's somewhat enlarged, and the liver enzymes were slightly elevated (which the Alimta I receive can cause)...so they sent me home, and I'll just do some followup. The pain resolved very quickly, and it may have been just stomach irritation from the medications I take (one of the negative side-affects my doctor worries about in taking the steroid)

so...

home, feeling fine, and taking it easy

2 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Wow! That sounds really scary. The meds aren't fun, are they? I know my sister had issues with some of them.

I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous karen said...

oy...just tried to im you but you had logged off, so i checked in here. damn, lynne. so glad it appears to be okay but so sorry you were scared and in pain. thinking about you, as always, and hoping you are feeling better today.

love, karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home