Friday, April 21, 2006

Let's put it all in perspective.....

What it costs:

Here is a financial breakdown of my most recent University of Michigan Cancer Center chemo treatment:

First, I get 2 tablets of an anti-nausea drug: $ 81.08

Next I get a tiny little plastic bag with Zometa,
which is a bone-strengthening drug: 2040.68

The main drug I'm receiving now is Alimta,
again, a tiny bag of solution, about 3 oz I'd guess 9,898.98

After each bag drips, they flush out the IV with a
small bag of saline solution...ya know...salt water 82.00

There is a setup fee for the infusion service 240.00
Chemo supplies; needles, bandaids, cottonballs 249.00
more supplies (must be special cottonballs) 81.00
pump to drip the stuff (oh, but it's called the "Gold" pump) 71.00
Labs to make sure I'm healthy enough to recive these goodies 90.00
more labs 47.00

TOTAL $ 12,880.74


That's ONE treatment, I go every 3 weeks.

Thank goodness for insurance.

I deserve it.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Henry (Calem's Opa) said...

You wonder why it has to be so expensive. i wish you allthe best.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Like my dad said, it shouldn't be so expensive. Everyone deserves treatment.

I am sorry you have to go through it, but I am glad insurance has your covered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home