Wednesday, March 29, 2006

big safety pins

I get my support and inspiration from a lot of different places (not just the one mentioned in the previous posting. I get most support from my family, and other inspirational readings and doing. I guess I'm in that place that I keep reading about "spiritual but not religious", but I recall Sunday School days, and often, without trying to, I remember a prayer or a song or a quote. I guess you really don't forget what's ingrained in you from an early age. There is comfort there just the same.

Sleep time comes early again tonight. I'm going to listen to the circadium rythms of my body.

but I thought of this

a prayer I loved as a little girl
we were always tucked into bed (remember Eddie?)
and we went through the three prayers we were taught to say at bedtime:

The Lord's Prayer

The Children's Prayer :

Father Mother God
Loving Me
Guard me while I sleep
Lead my little feet up to thee (this is when we'd put our little feet up in the air and say "wheeee"
For Jesus' sake
Amen

and (which I believe is actually a line from a hymn rather than a whole prayer)

Everlasting arms of Love
Are beneath, around and above
God it is who bears us on
His the arm we lean upon

and we were then literally pinned into bed by a giant safety pin that held our homemade quilts tight to our beds

a sweet memory

4 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi lynnie...it's me, karen, and i can't figure out how to log into this thing...just wanted to let you know i thought that post was very beautiful and touching, and i am thinking of you often. hoping things are unswelling and derashing and overall feeling better for you. miss you.

karen

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

It's not you, Karen, something is screwy with the comments thing. I have to go in and "publish" them, which I've now done. I'm going to try to figure that out.

Glad you liked that post, I'm sure Eddie remembers the blanket pin and bunk beds. "someone" used to push their feet up on the bottom of the mattress of the one above and make them go "blook, blook" (that's a sound made when making that motion, people)

:)

Things are unswelling and unrashing and unhurting (some). I had a good day.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

That is a great memory! I remember my mom use to say a little prayer with us in Dutch, and it had 14 angels. When I go to visit, I try to say it with my nephew.

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Julie said...

I have the same memories, passed down to me by my mother (with the exception of the safety pin). I should pass them on to Tommy too. They are very good memories.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home